Okay. These are the last ones, I promise. We have LOTS more, but if you want to see those, you have to come visit us! This is Kilauea Point, an amazing spot for wildlife. It's a sanctuary and it boasts all sorts of birds, plus sometimes you can see whales and dolphins offshore, which we did!!
All right, I know it's hard to see, but those two dark dots are dolphins. They were way out there, but we were able to look through binoculars and really see them. I even saw one leap out of the water and spin, which is how they got their name, spinner dolphins. And the next picture really is a whale fin. It's a humpback whale. I know it was miles out to sea, but I'd never seen a humpback from any distance, so I was thrilled. We saw it splash and shoot water from its blowhole.
And here we are, at Kilauea Lighthouse, where we saw the aforementioned dolphins and whales, along with huge frigate birds and albatrosses. It was pretty cool. After this outing (during which I got a sunburn) we went to the North Shore where it stormed like crazy and nearly flooded the road. After that we slogged through the drizzle to catch our late night flight. Now this deserves at least a paragraph.....
After all that wonderful relaxation, our flight was delayed, which made us unable to get our connecting flight in LAX. They moved us to another one. That one was delayed 3o minutes. Then an hour. Then cancelled altogether. Due to American's debacle with the grounded fleet, every other flight was booked. By now, we're wondering how we'll ever get out of L.A. And we had a baby shower the next day! DJ got on the phone and found us a flight out of a different airport in two hours. The shuttle took an hour to get there. I'm a wreck at this point, crying and totally tense. All relaxation gone! We shared our shuttle with this Russian lady, who was so sweet. She kept arguing with the driver that we needed to go to the airport first because "this lady is pregnant; she can't be upset!" Then she gave us chocolate. :-) Well, we get to the airport and that flight's been delayed three hours. We finally finally finally get to Dallas nine hours later than we were supposed to and have to trek all over everywhere to find our luggage, which got there long before we did. Ugh. But we made our shower the next day and all was well. Happy ending. I have shower pix, but it took forever to do these posts, so I'll save them for another day.
Aloha!
Vanessa

No comments:
Post a Comment